It is stated in the first few lines of their website that O’Connor’s is a casual Irish restaurant and bar with an urban buzz, serving Irish, European and American favorites seasoned with new ideas. The true buzz begins when this customer starts his pre-visit planning. On Saturday, it was sparked by a text message from Spencer’s brother. Suffice to say, O’Connor’s is one of my favorites and by far the most consistent and well-known eatery in Worcester. I’ve embarked on every eating occasion at O’Connor’s from funerals, meetings, Lion’s Club, Birthdays, Engagements, Anniversaries, civic meetings and functions to just plain unadulterated mid-week hunger.
The party started after a reasonable 20-25 minute wait. Then the throng of patrons clamoring for space and attention built the first-timer excitement of Mama and Papa Hensel. Our waitress, Lori, wasted no time getting drink orders and moved the proceedings along to assure the best overall experience. Papa H. made special note that his first impression was, by far, THE BEST initial visit to a restaurant. Dinner and appetizer orders were received with adjustments and special considerations and all requests met confident assurance! It was clear that Lori had our best interests in mind. Return visits were being planned in between food order and delivery. The complimentary dinner rolls are excuse enough!
Dinner and Appetizer choices were:
- Baked Haddock Scarpariello (Mama) Baked Haddock “Shoemaker style” from Naples! A tangle of sweet peppers, fennel sausage, crimini mushrooms, dash of red wine vinegar, parsley and fresh tomato sauce, served up with Yukon gold mashed potatoes. 14.99
- Tom Brady’s Filet Mignon (Papa) 1/2-lb. Filet Mignon, rosemary, garlic and black pepper seasoning, balsamic caramelized onions, crumbled blue cheese, and one side of your choice. 20.99 French Fries replaced the smashed potato.
- Portuguese Seafood Stew (me) A wonderful seafood stew featuring an array of fresh seafood including salmon, haddock, chopped clams, shrimp and mussels, in a flavorful herb seasoned seafood broth, with diced Chorizo, potatoes, celery, onion, carrot, leek, chopped tomato, and julienne of kale. With a side of basmati rice. 16.99
- Warm Goat Cheese, Golden Delicious Apple, Beets & Fresh Garden Salad (Spencer) Our mixed garden salad and Romaine lettuce, topped with a warm oven baked panko crusted goat cheese round, with sliced golden delicious apple and beets. Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette. with Parmesan Crusted Chicken 12.99 Spencer also enjoyed Chicken, Black Bean and Angel Hair soup, which was deeee-lissscious!! (I had three spoonfuls, while considering eating the whole mug.)
- Butternut Bisque ….Vegetarian, Gluten Free, no MSG! Bowl 3.75 & Philly Cheese Burger (for Casey/brother) Smothered with peppers, onions, mushrooms and Swiss cheese. 8.99
O’Connor’s is a family-owned establishment that employs staff members for years. Some seek greener pastures and many return. Family businesses are special to me because the connections extend throughout their spaces and into the community. The O’Connor’s have received many community awards for their participation in the improvement of our city and I’m proud to suggest that each and every one of you should take time to share a meal with them. The entry way alone will be worth the trip…there are many notables that have stopped in for a pint or a pick. Each visit brings me a smile and satisfaction.
When approaching the building and then strolling through the halls and 10+ dining rooms, one cannot be held back from transportation to the land of the Irish. The quality service, the fine food and the huge collection of pub decor coupled with the well appointed layout and team speak to the culture. O’Connor’s Restaurant and Bar is a proudly situated, always improving contribution of Brendan and Claire to Greater Worcester.
Consider calling ahead and Enjoy!