Sunday, August 18th was a celebration day! We were invited by Spencer’s Grandmother to a celebration dinner.
- A very close family friend experienced a doctoral accomplishment.
- Spencer’s Birthday was a few days earlier.
- Paige (his sis) is leaving for college in a few days.
- The weather was great; We’re the type of crew that just celebrates, never really need a big deal reason.
So, I want to focus on the recipe for success that Grandmother followed.
- Planned food that all enjoy. Two different entrees for 8 or 9 people is just as easy as making a little more of one. Part of the planning was prepping in advance which moved the cooking time and saved the cook/hostess from being shackled to the stove.
- The menu began with goat cheese and fig preserve served with a delicious cracker variety. Spinach dip with tortilla chips. Cold drinks of all kinds.
- Entrees were fresh lobsters, steamed mussels, backed stuffed chicken, roasted potatoes and the salad that you see here. I learned that the lobsters were fresh that morning (steamed at the grocery) from Market Basket.
- Dessert was a custom ice cream cake from Cold Stone Creamery and one of four different kinds of coffee out of the Keurig.
- The right mix of people. This was a family event in every way. One of the guests naturally made sure there was enough fig preserve with the goat cheese hors d’oeuvres. Another set the table. Another totally enjoyed washing some of the dishes once the dish washer was filled up. All invited had a great time and after many hours we all agreed that we’d love to stay, but bed time was calling. LOL!
- Leftovers. A few of us took home some of the leftover seafood and were able to reminisce the great times again and again.
Mothers and Grandmothers have special ways in which they love, sometimes forcefully and sometimes very passively with both encouragement and devotion. It took me a long struggle to understand all of mom’s goose-ing techniques. I now can look back and see the amazing artistry of Nana Haven and Mama Leto and find myself applying their tools and tips and ideas into my life. I’m also doing more to develop myself. I am. I like it.
Further, I’m recalling this event with a new fondness today and recollecting that we were all one type of person that afternoon. We were ourselves.
Life with family and friends. Enjoy.